Saturday, February 4, 2012

The roots of it all

Today was a great day, I got back in touch with my roots.
I helped my mentor teach his stunt class: www.stuntkids.com. Mike Cassidy is a great man, he taught me everything I know about performing stunts and how to get into the industry. I went through stunt kids in 1999, and have recalled bits and pieces of that training ever since, not necessarily while performing.

So today I went back to see Mike, to assist him while teaching a new class of stunt kids; today's class was falls. Mike has a tower set up in his yard, you climb the ladder, and jump into an airbag. These kids climb the tower, up to 28 feet and leap. Brave for some of these little ones. I did the class when I was 17, and it was scary. But then again, when I went through the class there were two higher levels, so I've jumped from 38 feet. which was quite exhilarating. Today I got to play around on the tower a little too.

It felt so good to touch base with Mike again, an added treat was seeing an old stunt kids class mate of mine, Matthew Kennedy. Matthew's been doing well while I've been gone. He just wrapped the new Spider Man movie on the stunt stunt team. He's making his living as a stunt man, and living the dream. I can't wait till I can pay the bills solely by performing.

I also was asked to coordinate a short shoot out for a thesis film for a Los Angeles Film School student. I do these thesis films for free, for several reasons. I'm still a student, and I would want some one to help me out if I were shooting a thesis, I still need the experience and things to add to my resume.

Finally, I saw my headshot. It looks great, it's getting re touched, and I should have the final product by Monday. I'll post it up here once I get it.


So stay tuned, and stay sharp.
Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment