Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thoughts late at night

It's late and I can't sleep. I have an appointment with my VA disability people in the morning. I guess I'll just be exhausted when I get there. I've got a zero calorie monster in the fridge so I'll be alright. By the way, those things are awesome! They really get me jacked in the morning! Like power thirst!!! I'll go fight a tiger...

Any way, through the VA folks at my school I got into a group for veterans in film and television. It's a very legit group that I think will be a real benefit to my career. However, something came of it, that I was not expecting, but should have.

I've let my ego get a little too big. For the last few months, I've had big fish in a little pond syndrome. Since I'm the only guy that I know of at my school that is interested in stunt work, I've had a lot of demand. I've started calling myself a stunt coordinator, for lack of a better term and it's gone to my head.

On my facebook, my occupation read stunt coordinator as well. When I signed up with this group for vets, I introduced myself as a stunt coordinator. Almost immediately I got a message from a real stunt coordinator that I actually know if and admire a great deal. He advised that I not call myself a stunt coordinator, because I will probably piss off the people who have devoted years and years to actually earn the credit of stunt coordinator. Especially when I have no real credits even as a stuntman. I immediately heeded his advice and amended the introduction and my profile; to aspiring stuntman.

It was a reminder that I really truly am starting at the bottom if the ladder. At 26 years old, I'm starting over at something. I thought six years ago that I would be at least decent at a job and be working my way to the top. It's a little disheartening to think about. But I guess there is no choice, since I don't want to go back to the Army. I'll just attack this new venture and make it my bitch.

I know that not any one can do anything. Those stories that parents tell their kids are a bunch if crap. You either don't have the intelligence, the genes, or the means. But stunts is something that I AM good at, and definitely see myself excelling at.

For a while I thought that I would make my living as a magician. But I never really saw myself doing that seriously. Maybe as a side job instead if waiting tables or tending bars, but not full time. If you see me bringing food to your table, I've hit Rock bottom. Bit that I'm hating on waiters, it's just not something I could do and smile. Unless I worked at a rude restaurant like Dicks. But they would just be too wearied to say I work in dicks, or I'm a dick waiter.

So until next time, stay tuned and stay sharp.

No comments:

Post a Comment