Tuesday, February 28, 2012

So close and yet so far

In my past, before I joined the US Army, I was trained in and pursued a career in stunt work. Unfortunately, I never actually got a gig. Every time I was offered a job, something would come up that would take precedence. I would be out of town and physically not able to make it, or had no way to get to the location. It was very frustrating, and seemed as if the fates were conspiring to keep me out of the industry. I don't believe in fate, but for lack of a better phrase, that's how I think of it.

So this weekend, I was brought onto another thesis film for school, as the armorer. I wound up as one of the military advisers as well, which was fun. The set was run very professionally, and I really enjoyed working on it. The same set that Scenes from Iron Man and Transformers, which was so cool. I love working in this town. 




I was a little put off for one reason, which brings me back to my old stunt days. I was not brought on to be the stunt coordinator, that job went to the director's cousin. He had more experience than me, but was friendly. I introduced myself, and gave him my background, a expressed that I wanted to be a stuntman, and that I'd like to help him any way I could. 

When it came to the stunt work, which was only a fight, and a wire pull, he decided to go with the actor that I brought with me. Who is not really an actor, and not a stuntman. But he fit the physical profile of what the director wanted. I know that's how the game is played, and I accept that. BUT it's hard to swallow, when you're an aspiring stuntman, you get onto a set that has stunts that need to be done, and you aren't involved. It's just disheartening. I'll get there though, and I'll be do it right when I do. 
All in all it was still a great day. I made some good contacts, I got some screen time as a Taliban war fighter, and I did some good training for the actors playing Marines. Damn, we had those poor guys on edge, they were in character all day, and my other mil adviser would just screw with them and run them through scenarios. It was a very good exercise for me in working with actors. 
Though I didn't get much for my stunt reel, I still call the day a huge success. 
More to follow soon, 
Stay tuned, and stay sharp.

No comments:

Post a Comment